This post is sponsored by iHerb, but as always, all thoughts and opinions are absolutely my own!
It’s that time of year again, friends! The weather is a little wonky, and depending on where you live, you might be in for a cool down pretty soon. Allergies are smacking you in the face, you’re frantically spraying down shopping carts, sanitizing hands, and wondering if the family needs new winter-wear. We live near Chicago, so I totally feel you. Because fall is officially here, I thought I’d share a few ways that we try and stay healthy through the transition from summer. Let’s get a few things straight first though. I’m not crazy about germs, my kids aren’t in school yet, and I’m a little “laid back” as a mom. STILL, that doesn’t mean I don’t want us to stay healthy!
With that said, my 5 tips should be simple for everyone, maybe even just serving as reminders or recommendations. I’d like to try to help make your life easier, how does that sound? Let’s get this show on the road.
1. If the weather gets crazy, shop smart.
This is my number one, because last winter, I’m pretty positive that one of my twins caught a bug from a shopping cart, then gave it his brother, who then passed it on to me. It was a glamorous month for us (not)! I’m not going to let the weather bully me, but if I can shop online for a few things, or even stock up “just in case,” then I will. If you’ve seen this post, then you’re aware that I’m an iHerb shopper! Not only are they a place to stock up on stuff for kiddos, but they have plenty of other wellness items to choose from. As a military family who has lived overseas, I definitely recommend them to everyone, as they ship to over 160 countries and provide customer support in 10 languages! Attempting that healthy life couldn’t be easier! Below, you can see the haul that recently arrived at our house! Note: New iHerb customers can get $5 off of your first Nature’s Way order of $20 or more by clicking here!
2. If you haven’t already, then prepare your insides!
So, I’m not exactly the best at remembering to take vitamins or supplements, but I’ve been putting in a more conscious effort these days. We’ve recently started implementing Nature’s Way products into our health routine, and are loving them. What are we using? I’m about to tell ya!
- Alive! Women’s Energy Multivitamin-Multimineral Tablets- I know, I should’ve been taking a multi-vitamin this whole time, but going from nothing to taking Alive! Women’s Energy Multivitamin-Multimineral tablets has made a difference. They have no stimulants or caffeine, but 26 fruits and veggies, and extra B-Vitamins for energy! Why am I happy for this? Because I’m a mom, and all of my body systems need all the help they can get!
- Alive! Max3 Daily, Men’s Max Potency Tablets- The hubby has also upped his vitamin game and given these babies a shot. Also with B-Vitamins for energy, these tablets are made with diverse, food-based blends, including (but not limited to) a cardio blend, digestive enzyme blend, and daily greens. All of his body systems have been thanking him, and he’s been pretty darn happy with how he’s been feeling! I will say that these are a 3x per day type pill, so you might want to set a reminder for yourself!
- Alive! Calcium, Bone Formula Tablets- So, uh, I’ve broken my wrist twice, my hand once, and my left ankle gives in on the regular. With that said, it’s not crazy for me to think calcium is a good idea. ALL of the calcium in Alive! Calcium, Bone Formula comes from plant sources including organic kale, spinach, and collard greens. Let’s not leave out calcified red algae seaweed, sustainably sources from Icelandic waters! ICELANDIC! (Sorry, I’m kind of obsessed with visiting Iceland someday.) Anyway, 4 of these babies per day, and you’re good!
- Alive! Gummies, Multivitamin for Children- I’m not going to lie to you guys. We haven’t tried these. The boys won’t be two until this winter, but we have them on hand for when they’re old enough. We trust what the adult vitamins have done for us, and don’t see a reason to NOT be psyched that these little gummies (which are packed with 26 fruits and vegetables!) are available for our kiddos. Plus, I’m pretty sure I remember seeing Nature’s Way around since I was a kid! Oh, and if you’re worried about sugar, these are sweetened with tapioca and fried cane syrups!
- MCT Oil from Coconut- This isn’t just for all of you who are fans of “butter coffee,” you can ingest this on it’s own, or in whatever else you choose (1 tbsp will do!). This is pure coconut oil, flavorless and odorless, and free of fillers, so don’t worry about it affecting the taste of anything! Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are used by the body to produce energy, making them popular for fitness and weight loss. FYI- I still drink it in coffee, yes, it has calories, but NO those calories have never negatively affected me, and I started using MCTs over 4 years ago!
- Primadophilus, Reuteri Superior Probiotic- Probiotics are everywhere these days, and for good reason! I’ve actually been taking them in some form or another since after giving birth. If you’ve had babies, you know that things in your body go a little nuts. I know that many folks take probiotics in pill form, but this is a powder than you can easily add to any cold foods, like cereal! On top of that, you don’t have to take a handful a day for them to be affective. In fact, just a teaspoon is fine, and the potency is guaranteed until the expiration date (vs. just until the date manufactured). With holidays approaching fast, digestive health is a priority!
- Echinacea Goldenseal- I first heard about this almost 10 years ago, from a lady that I worked with. She SWORE by it. You can easily guess that this is made from echinacea plants, as well as goldenseal root, and should help with immune support. To tell you the truth, I’m excited to see if this helps us. We haven’t been sick yet, and are hoping not to be, but we’ll see. All it takes is a 1mL drop in your water, 3x daily!
3. Don’t forget to eat and drink the good stuff.
Let’s not act like a balanced diet is ever a bad idea. While I like to live my life and enjoy treats, I’ll admit that my body performs better when fueled better. Fall is full of sweetness these days, between PSLs and Halloween treats, I know, the struggle is SO real. Do your best and make wise decisions. I have a background in fitness and a sport that involved being at a certain bodyweight, so people often ask me about diet. If there is one piece of advice I’d give everyone, it’s not to deprive yourself. Deprivation leads to bingeing, which leaves us worse off than where we started. So, keep that in mind! Side note: Not all foods that claim to be “healthy” actually are!
4. Be aware of public places, AKA- bring wipes!
As I said at the beginning of the post, I’m not crazy when it comes to germs. I think that there is a such thing as taking unnecessary precautions, however, that’s not to say that I don’t take any. Let’s not forget that I mentioned my kid (possibly) getting sick from a shopping cart, okay? This fall, I’m definitely going to make sure that I wipe shopping cart handles extra carefully. I know, there’s no way to guarantee how effective this can be, but we can try!
5. If you DO get sick, give yourself time to recover.
Staying healthy just doesn’t always happen, no matter how hard we try. With that said, I don’t know a single person, especially a parent, who isn’t guilty of trying to push through illness. What happens when we do that though? We end up MORE sick, MORE tired, and out of work for even longer. If you’re a stay at home parent and are sick, that life is ROUGH. If you have family or friends around that can help lighten your load, or maybe you need to take a day off of work, or skip a play date, let all of that happen. Trust me friends, taking time to recover is worth it. Don’t let pride get in the way!
Do you have any simple reminders?
Those are all of my reminders and tips for now. As winter nears, I’m sure I’ll have more to share! If you have any other simple recommendations, feel free to leave them in the comments! I encourage all of you to check out iHerb though, and try and get healthy on the inside with Nature’s Way (they carry over 400 Nature’s Way products!), before the changing of the seasons hits hard! Remember, new customers can save $5 on their first Nature’s Way order of $20 or more here, so go get that deal!